Internet of Things (IoT) Platforms
IoT Platform solutions interconnect “things” (people, objects, devices, processes, data, etc.) in the real world and the virtual world via the Internet, and make the “things” communicate and interact with each other. IoT Platform hardware, software, and middleware enables IoT network, device, application, and service management. This includes connectivity, device administration, identity management, permissions control, data management, IoT APIs, SDKs, and more.
IoT Platforms must inter-operate and support IoT hardware and software. Hardware supported by IoT Platforms include microcontrollers, microprocessors, embedded systems, sensors, gateway devices. Various software elements (protocols, firmware, APIs, Apps and frameworks) play important role in IoT Platforms. They use firmware in the embedded systems to analyze data collected from devices.
The Evolution of IoT Platforms: From Purpose-built to General Purpose
Many of the initial IoT Platforms are purpose-built. Longer term, Mind Commerce sees the need for more General Purpose IoT Platforms as there is certain functionality that will be important to handle the many and varied functions involved in IoT management. IoT Platforms will evolve to become more general purpose in nature, supporting certain key functions including:
- IoT Platforms and Data Management: An important function of IoT platforms will be to continuously generate, collect, share, and utilize data about users and for users. As data is arguably the most valuable outcome of IoT, it is clear the IoT Data Management will be an increasingly important platform component.
- IoT Platforms and Distributed Computing: One of the key architecture issues for IoT is support of Distributed Computing in as part of Cloud Computing architecture known as Fog Computing.
- IoT Platform Mediation and Orchestration: Orchestration is an essential aspect of service oriented architecture, virtualization, provisioning, converged infrastructure, and various datacenter issues. As IoT evolves, there will be an increasing need for IoT Mediation and Orchestration. Longer term, there will be a need for intermediation as companies open up their operations to allow for sharing of IoT data and service interactions.
- IoT Platform support of OS and APIs: The success of IoT will depend on support of a few key operating systems (OS) and many Application Programming Interfaces (APIs). IoT APIs are a critical component of IoT systems as they enable interoperability between otherwise disparate interfaces.
- IoT Platforms and Virtual Control: Future IoT Platforms will need to support IoT Virtual Control in the form of IoT Virtual-to-Real (V2R), IoT Real-to-Virtual (R2V), and even IoT Virtual-to-Virtual (V2V) control scenarios.
- IoT Platforms and Artificial Intelligence: IoT will benefit greatly from Artificial Intelligence (AI) in several areas including data analytics, security, and overall decision support services. IoT Platforms will become the central hub for AI integration, management, and operations for centralized processing as well as distributed processing via Fog Computing devices.
As a key component of IoT Architecture, Infrastructure, and Operations, IoT Platforms must be carefully planned.
Was this page helpful? Contact Us and let us know.
Follow us on Linkedin for regular updates and more information.
Internet of Things (IoT) Platforms and Software: Market Outlook and Forecasts 2016 – 2021 includes forecasts for IoT Platform revenue and deployments globally and regionally for the 2016 to 2021 period. Forecasts also include a breakdown by Segment, Solution, Investment/Funding, Value Chain, and Connectivity. This research also identifies opportunities for software in IoT including OEM providers. Mind Commerce also evaluates the market opportunities and outlook for OEM channels and quantifies the markets and business for IoT software.
IoT is poised to fundamentally transform communications, global IT support systems, and business processes in virtually every industry vertical. IoT will overtake human communications rapidly as there are vastly more objects in the world than humans, as they communicate much faster, much more frequently, and in more dynamic ways.